background

Thursday, October 17, 2024

Collies in art

Collies, with their beauty and grace, have been the subject of countless paintings.  I love seeing how their image has been portrayed by various artists over the centuries, each hoping to capture the sparkle in their eyes, their lush coats, their lithe bodies and elegant heads.  And artists always hope to capture the most important aspect of the collies’ appearance, their beautiful expressions.  As I do not have the skills or talent to paint or draw collies, I collect collie art instead.

The walls of my home and office are adorned by my personal collection of collie art, both originals and prints, so I thought sharing some of them would make a nice post for the collie blog.  In keeping with that theme, the first painting was done by Barbara Guitas, it’s based on a picture of my Kori.  This painting has always been my favorite, as it is a beautiful example of that sweet collie expression.

The eyes have it…

The next painting is of my Ryder and Kori, based on a picture I took on a hike many years ago.  It was also painted by Barbara Guitas, and she kindly added the Winterberry bushes behind them, to represent our kennel name, Winterberry Collies.


The third painting I wanted to share is a watercolor I commissioned by Debra St Germain.  It’s of my Peyton and Addison, and also includes a little Winterberry in honor of our kennel name.


The next painting was done on a slate, by Barbara Guitas.  It is also based on one of my pictures, taken at a local lighthouse.  It features my Scarlett, Ryder and Kori.


This original image, also on slate, was painted by Barbara Guitas.  I thought the whimsical Halloween scene was  charming, and I proudly display it each October.



The next two beautiful prints were created by Ramonette Dugan.  I just love how she captured the curious nature and playfulness of the collie in these two images.




The Road Home by Rick Aeschliman. This stunning print evokes so much emotion.  It was created to raise money for collie rescue.


Found -  Collie Dog & Lamb Print By Walter Hunt.  This classic image is very popular.




And lastly, we are waiting on another painting by Barbara Guitas.  This is one I commissioned of my Scarlett, also based on one of my pictures.  In the background is an iconic image of the Grass Shack, a local landmark.  And I had her include a typical New England image, a Christmas tree floating in a small boat.  (Our version of the little red truck, hauling a Christmas tree.)  I can’t wait to see it, hopefully soon, and I’ll update this post when the painting is completed.



Have you had an artist paint or draw your best friend?

3 comments:

  1. Each and every one of your paintings is just gorgeous but if I have to choose a favorite, it's the first one of Kori. It's so beautiful! I do have paintings of my Airedales but Duke is still a puppy. He will get his turn one day when he's older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all such beautiful paintings, especially the one's of your sweet pups. We had a painting done of Nina the dog we had before Millie & Walter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, each one is so unique and so darn beautiful. You have a lovely collection. Thanks for joining Angel Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete