background

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunnybank!

It was so wonderful to be back at Sunnybank, I can't explain how much I love it there, or how much it means to me. Scarlett and I thought we would take you all on a brief tour... Scarlett sitting at the grave of Sunnybank Lad. I have a picture of my Lad, sitting in the same spot, when he was about the same age. So this was a little Bittersweet for me, we still miss him so much.



This is called Champion rock. Directly in front of Scarlett is Gray Dawn's grave. He is one of her great-great...grandsires. (I forget how many greats are in there!) Thane is off to the side, he's another grandsire.






This was the lily pond that belonged to Anice Terhune, The Mistress. It's filled in now, but still remains. And see the white streak on the right side of the picture? Those are ashes of some of the collies that died this year. We found them at each and every collie grave. I think it is a very fitting place to spread the ashes of a beloved collie!
.
.



 This is the memorial stone bench, with a picture of the Master and Mistress and some of their collies.
.
.
.
The grave of Bruce, "the Dog Without a Fault." I have a picture of Abby sitting here, as a puppy. Bruce was the sire of Gray Dawn, and thus another Grandsire of Scarlett, Kori, Ryder, Abby and Holly! And if you look, you will see more ashes scattered here.
.
.

This is the root cellar, and off to the side are memorials for all the collies that have died since the last Gathering. I wanted to add Lad to the memorial, but didn't know you had to send in the entry ahead of time. So maybe next year. They have a beautiful ceremony where they read the names of all the collies while a bagpiper plays a sorrowful tune..

.

I found it fascinating, seeing this root cellar again. I was rereading "Lad of Sunnybank," and Terhune describes in the second to last chapter of the book, how the cellar was built. And he even describes where it was located - behind the barn/winter kennels. The barn and house are gone, but the root cellar is still there! And of course there were collies and collie puppies everywhere!
.
.
 Cute rough, sable puppy!
.


 Cute, blue puppy!
.
.

Beautiful Scarlett! She showed like a dog show Veteran!!! She didn't win, the placements almost all went to the fuzzy, rough puppies. But I am so proud of her, she was perfect!
.
.

.
.
.
Scarlett thinks dog shows are F-U-N!
.
.
.
Thor, Scarlett's brother/littermate!  He is turning out to be a very handsome boy!
.
.



This puppy is a half brother to one of my sister's rough collies. He won best muzzle.
.
.

I don't know these collies, but they looked so cute!
.


Tired smooth puppies! The tri's name is Della, and the blue she is using as a pillow is her sister, Judy. They are Scarlett's half sisters.
.
.


It was a beautiful and fun day, I can't wait until next year! I would like to go both days next year. As there are a lot of things going on the first day. Check out this video of the collie, Prosper, collecting money for the Collie Health Foundation!

 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152012401465251



And I thought I would add this video.  It's actual footage of Albert Payson Terhune, his wife, and the Sunnybank collies at Sunnybank.




3 comments:

  1. Pawsome photographs. We intend to get up there the next couple years.

    Essex & Sherman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures and beautiful doggies! Thanks for stopping by our blog.

    Wags and Woofs,
    Dogs N Pawz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. My brother Richard Frost showed Parader Collies for years & I’m pretty sure they had Sunnybank blood. Richard retired & no longer has collies but I know he would love your smooths. He had rough & smooth. Gorgeous dogs.

    ReplyDelete