background

Thursday, May 9, 2024

Let me introduce you to Lassie!

A friend and I recently took our collies to a local University for a therapy visit.  It was held at their School of Nursing, since it was Nurses Week and final exam week.  Addison went on this visit, and as she had been there before, the students recognized her, calling out her name as we walked around the campus.  She pranced around happily, like a little celebrity.   For the students who had never met her, we got asked what kind of dog she was, and I replied, “She’s a smooth collie, like Lassie, but with short hair.”  Every time I said this, I was met with a blank stare.  None of these twenty-something students had ever heard of Lassie! 


While I understand how children and teenagers might not be familiar with this canine star, I was surprised that this age group had never heard of Lassie.  Not only does Lassie have a movie career that spans over eighty years, she has also starred in four different television series!  The first television series ran from 1954 through 1974.  The second tv series ran from 1997 -1999, and the third ran from 1989 - 1992.  These were followed by an animated series that ran for two seasons.

.


It just seems impossible that Lassie is unknown by recent generations, she is such an icon!  I have seen, and own all the Lassie movies, and treasure my collection.  And even owning the movies, whenever I hear that a Lassie movie is being broadcast on television, I just have to sit and watch it again.  I have even played the old Lassie movies for my collies, they are all fans.

This was Scarlett, watching back in 2012.

And this was Peyton, watching in 2020.

Lassie even has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  It is definitely well deserved, her career in both television and film has earned the recognition.  So which of the Lassie movies is your favorite?  Have you seen them all?  Please let us know in the comments.

Lassie Come Home - 1943


Son of Lassie - 1945

Courage of Lassie - 1946


The Hills of Home - 1948


Challenge to Lassie - 1949


The Sun Comes Up - 1949


The Painted Hills - 1951


Lassie’s Great Adventure - 1963


Lassie New Beginnings - 1978


Magic of Lassie - 1978

Lassie, Best Friends are Forever - 1994


Lassie - 2005


There are also two new Lassie movies, but I don’t believe they are available in the United States yet:

Lassie Come Home - 2020 (made in Germany)

Lassie A New Adventure - 2024 (made in Germany)


6 comments:

  1. Our mom loves all the Lassie movies and couldn't pick a favorite. She also watched the TV show when she was a kid and loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always love The Magic of Lassie best, but I am also a huge Jimmy Stewart fan, so that makes sense.

      The 1994 and 2005 Lassie movies are tied for my 2nd favorite. Both are well down, and I’ve been wanting to watch them again, maybe Sunday. (Tomorrow is another dog show day, we are leaving at 4:00 AM for the show, as it’s in another state. So there won’t be time for movies tomorrow.)

      Delete
  2. Lulu: "How could people not have heard of Lassie?! Kids these days!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up watching Lassie! The movies and TV show hold a special place in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn’t know the Lassie cartoon was available on Paramount to stream! Going to introduce my kids to Lassie this week!

    ReplyDelete