background

Sunday, May 5, 2024

I was debating writing this…

 I had a scare last week, my sweet, beautiful Scarlett woke up on her birthday and the side of her face was swollen.  Collies are pretty stoic, by I could tell by the look in her eyes that she was in a lot of pain.  So I canceled all the fun things I had planned for her birthday and made an appointment with the vet.


Fortunately, it was just a broken, infected tooth.  They ran bloodwork, to see if she could handle anesthesia, because she’s now 12 years old, and it came back good.  But I was still a nervous wreck, because she’s 12, and that’s pretty old for a collie, and because she’s always had a bad reaction to anesthesia.  I was terrified that a broken tooth was going to be the reason I lost her.  On Friday she had the tooth pulled, along with two others, and they cleaned the rest while she was there.  It went fine, but it’s now Sunday and she’s still showing some of the effects of the anesthesia.  Yesterday she was still a bit lethargic, and while holding her, I could feel her trembling.  Today she is much better, not 100% yet, but definitely improving.


Kori is now 12 years and 9 months old.  And two months ago, she was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer.  I haven’t wanted to talk about it, as it was devastating news.  I knew at 12+ years old we wouldn’t have a lot of time left, but this made our time finite.  She’s still with me, but I see her getting weaker everyday, and I know we don’t have much time left.  And knowing this, my heart is heavy with grief, because I’m not ready to say goodbye.  She’s my Kori Beanie, one of the puppies from my very first litter, my Sunshine girl.


Ryder is doing okay, but he is really showing his age, and one day soon I know he will be leaving me too.  And I can’t think about that, I just can’t.


Loving a dog brings so much joy into your life.  And every day with them is a gift, I honestly believe my life would be diminished without them.  But if you are blessed to raise a puppy, to watch them grow up, and eventually grow old, you know the heartache you will eventually face.  And it always comes too soon, long before we are ready to let them go.

Kori & Ryder

If you have a senior dog, or even a younger dog, please treasure every moment.  Hug them every day, because it all passes so quickly.



7 comments:

  1. It's so hard when they are not 100%. We worry so much. Enjoy the time you have left with Kori and I send Scarlett lots of positive and healing vibes. Hugs to all of you♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got the teeth pulled. They can create such sickness.

    Big hugs to watching your babies age. I know how you're feeling.

    Have a fabulous day and week. Scritches to your precious pups. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scare with Scarlett. We're glad to hear she is doing well now. Our paws are crossed for you and Kori as she continues her journey with cancer. Our mom and dad know all too well the joys and heartache of dog ownership. We are their sixth and seventh dogs and are both nearing 12 years also. The best any pet parent can do is love us and keep us as comfortable as possible. We wish all that for your pups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good news to get rid of the bad teeth and I'm sure she'll be shaking off the ansthesia soon. Prayers to Kori from all of us. Hey, thanks for the well wishes for our Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lulu: "We are glad Scarlett is doing better! But, yeah, we sure do wish we could stick around with our humans longer. We never do get enough time with you."
    Java Bean: "Sí, it's true! Dada says I am still a baby since I'm not even two yet, but Lulu just turned eight. Don't slow down on me yet, Lulu!"
    Lulu: "I'm trying!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. We fully support all your words. Mom could easily have writtne this, especialy in light of our recent loss. We hope Scarlett bounces back 100% soon, Kori fights hard for more time, and Ryder stays young in spirit for a long time.

    Woos - Misty and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m so sorry, they are all so beautiful. I’ve loved reading about them over the years. Cancer sucks. Getting old sucks.

    ReplyDelete