background

Saturday, August 12, 2023

A book review and a goodbye…

I have more posts planned on the history of the collie, but first I wanted to take a break and restart our book reviews, and share some news.  I’m an avid reader, and have been since I was young.  When I discover an incomplete series of books I am always impatient while waiting for the next book to be written and published. While I know a good book takes time to be written, I hate waiting! So when I come across a series that already contains multiple books, or is a completed series, I get very excited.  It’s the same when I discover a new favorite author who has already published numerous books, I love having so many books to choose from, all available and waiting to be read.

I have written and reviewed the books written by Dorothy Bodoin in the past.  She wrote a series of books that were in the mystery genre.  I was never a fan of mysteries, but she changed that.  Her stories always involved a collie or two, usually at the center of the mystery.  In her Foxglove series she has written 35 books, her most recent book came out on April 1, 2023.  I usually buy and read the entire book on the day it has been released. (Have I mentioned that I’m impatient?) But I haven’t been able to read her new book, Meet Me On Spirit Lane.  I want to read it, and I plan on finally reading it this weekend.  But my anticipation of reading her newest story is diminished, as I know it is also her last book, so I have been hesitating to open the book and start it.  Sadly, after a fall, and a stay in rehab, and then a second fall while in rehab, Dorothy passed away on March 26th, just a week before her book was to be released.

The loss of one of my favorite authors is especially difficult, since we were friends online, and I knew she was excited about returning home soon, getting back to her collie, Mia, and continuing to write her newest work in progress.  She was also eagerly anticipating the release of her book.  It’s just so heartbreaking that she didn’t get back to her beloved collie, or get the chance to finish her next book.  It’s also sad, for those who loved the series, that there will be no more stories about Jennet, her friends, and the antics of her wonderful collies.  Dorothy does leave us with 35 stories to read and reread, along with her other books.  And she also leaves the memories of her kindness and her shared love of the collie.  

Since I haven’t read Meet Me On Spirit Lane yet, I’m going to review another of her books, The Lost Collies of Silverhedge.



In Dorothy Bodoin’s Foxglove series, the main character, Jennet, is embroiled in solving mysteries, while teaching high school, caring for her collies, and volunteering for the local collie rescue.  Dorothy was a retired high school teacher and a collie owner, and I think she put a lot of herself into the character of Jennet.  In this book, the 26th in the series, a collie breeder is dead, 8 of her collies are stolen, and a ghost dog is looking for help.  The story keeps the reader engaged and turning the pages as quickly as possible, waiting for Jennet to solve the mystery and save the collies! I really enjoyed the story, and I think fans of both mysteries and dog fiction will find this to be a fun read.  I hope if anyone is reading this post, and you are looking for a new book to read, you will give this series a try.  I recommend starting with the first book, Darkness at Foxglove Corners, as starting at the beginning is always a very good place to start.  However, each book is a stand alone, featuring the same characters, but with individual storylines, so the reader can start with any book in the series, including The Lost Collies of Silverhedge.  I hope you will come back and leave a comment, to let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. It was you that got me interested in the Dorothy Bodoin books and I searched and bought every single one of them up until maybe 2019 so I have not read the latest books. She was a wonderful author and I LOVED her beautifully written books. I didn't keep the set. I passed it on to share with others. I am so sorry for your loss. The world lost one of the best♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great author and a wonderful series of books. We're so sorry to hear she passed and will never finish that last book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lulu: "That is so sad that Dorothy Bodoin never got to go home to her collie or finish her book. We are sure she is being swarmed by collies over the Rainbow Bridge!"

    ReplyDelete