background

Tuesday, October 1, 2024

It’s National Black Dog Day…

It’s also adopt a shelter/rescue dog month.  So we decided to feature some tri color collies looking for their Forever homes!  We’ve heard it over and over, Dogs with black fur are typically the last to be adopted.  Which I find surprising, as I think they are absolutely beautiful.  One researcher said that it’s true there are more black dogs (and black cats) euthanized, it’s because there are more of them in shelters than any other color.  Whatever the reason, they deserve a home, so we are sharing some collies available to adopt today.

The first two collies, Artemis and Marlowe, are from Collie Rescue of the Carolinas 



The next collie, Suzie, is from the Collie Rescue League of New England



Suzie is a lovely three-year old tricolor lady.  She is affectionate, likes people and other animals and has perfect leash walking manners.  She enjoys exploring new neighborhoods on her walks or sniffing her way along new trails.  She has an average amount of energy.  She plays with toys sometimes, but would rather interact with a person or another dog.  

 Suzie's appetite is good, she likes car rides and is used to being groomed.  She has a heavy, dense coat.  She had a little obedience training as a pup, but would probably enjoy more.  She's comfortable going into strange places and downtown areas.  Suzie benefitted in foster from a routine.  She has a schedule for getting up, her two meals a day and her walks.  She is also suitable for some home offices.  

 Suzie has lots of potential.  She could try anything - obedience, trick training, maybe tracking, etc.  You pick.  She'll give anything a try.  And there's still some puppy inside her.


The next two collies, Astrid and Chester, are from Freedom Collie Rescue, in Texas.



"Astrid is a truly sweet and beautiful 2 year old smooth collie.  Although she hasn’t been exposed to much, she is slowly coming out of her shell and will flourish in a safe, loving and nurturing forever home.  She is definitely a cuddle bug with people, wanting to lay next to you and giving you affectionate licks to show her love.  And she especially enjoys the company of other dogs in the family, wanting to play or being submissive to them to gain their affection.  She would most likely do well in a home with another dog or dogs because she feels more confident with them.  She enjoys going out for walks, meeting other dogs, and letting people/children pet her, sniffing around in the fresh grass, and exploring.  However, loud sounds and busy/new environments cause her to become nervous and anxious.  With more exposure, time, and patience, she can better adjust and be more relaxed.  She also prefers being indoors, near you, or another dog, or finding a nice spot in the house to take her naps.  She’s housebroken, crate-trained, knows how to use the doggy door, and can also jump into the car.  All she really needs is a family to show her love and patience and she will return that love tenfold.  A fenced yard is required. She is being fostered in the San Antonio, Texas area Apply at: freedomcollierescue.org




Happiness is my game.  Hello, I’m Chester! My foster parents call me Chess and I am two years old. I’m a shy, but loving, and give kisses once I get to know you better. I’ve not had much of a social life previously, so my foster parents take me out to experience people, children and pets. Car rides are fun for me. People comment that I am well-mannered and calm. I’m housetrained but right now I’m wearing a belly band to minimize marking in the presence of other male dogs while my hormones calm down from being neutered. I'm up to date on my shots, and on a heart worm preventative. I was diagnosed with heart worms when I first came into rescue, and will be getting my first heart worm treatment injection in early October. I just need to remain calm to get rid of these nasty heart worms! You can foster to adopt me and the rescue covers all expenses and once my heart worm treatment is complete, I can be officially adopted!

Toys- I love them! My favorites are tennis balls and sticks. And who doesn’t like treats? My favorite outings are going for walks and running around outdoors when there is backyard playtime. My foster parents say I’m well-mannered on a leash while walking in the neighborhood, don’t pull and follow along with them. Would love to be in a home with other dogs or I’m happy to hang out with just a human friend.  Did I say I like to snuggle?  Please provide a fenced yard for me to run around, and you may apply for me at freedomcollierescue.org


If you are thinking of getting a dog as a companion, collies make excellent best friends!  There are so many wonderful collies in rescues and shelters across the country right now.  Or if a collie is not what you are looking for, please consider one of the thousands of black dogs searching for a home.  This is actually a very personal cause for me.  My first dog was a little black puppy that I adopted from a shelter.  I named her Mojo, and she was a black lab/shepherd mix.  She was the smartest, most loyal dog I have ever known.  And when the sun hit her black fur, she was just stunning.  I wish I could share a video of her beauty.  Black dogs are just as sweet and loyal as dogs with lighter colored fur, and just as deserving of loving homes.  (Black kitties too!) 

8 comments:

  1. Lulu: "Speaking as a mostly black dog myself, I sure hope those beautiful pups find their forever homes soon!"
    Oona: "When Dada's cousin was over at his aunt's house with Oona, she was telling him and Mama that she has the hardest time placing black cats like Oona. Oona thinks that might be part of the reason she ended up going home with Mama and Dada that day."
    Charlee: "What's the rest of the reason?"
    Oona: "Oona crawled into Mama's lap and fell asleep and never left for the entire evening."
    Chaplin: "Buttering up Mama is a good way to get adopted."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Black Dog Day!
    xoxo,
    Rosy(who is also a mostly black dog)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all beautiful and I'd sure be happy if the found their forever homes super soon. I read the blog post you sent me, goodness, what a scary ordeal that was for all of you, but 3 beautiful pups made it a joyful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love black pups and kitties. Our last pup was black. Best pup we've ever had.

    Collies are wonderful companions. We have a friend that always have collies and we've loved both of them.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. Scritches to the pups. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love tricolor dogs here! Black collies/shelties are always so stunning in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We hope all of these Collies find their forever loving homes♥ When my mom and my sissy drove to Stockbridge to meet me for the very first time, they were surprised to find that I had liver furs and not black.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tri-colors are beautfiul. We will say a prayers for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We hope all those pups find loving, forever homes. Our own black dog, Millie, was from a rescue. She won over our parents with her sweet and silly disposition.

    ReplyDelete