Monday, August 17, 2026

Sunnybank, Lad and Lassie…

This past weekend the Collie Health Foundation held The Gathering at Sunnybank.  We were lucky enough to once again attend this annual event, and we had a wonderful time.  We caught up with old friends, walked the beautiful grounds and introduced our new puppies to the world of dog shows during the puppy match.  The only regret I have, I wish I had gone both days.  

Anice, Gray Dawn, Sandy, Victrix and APT

There is just something so special about visiting Sunnybank, the home of Albert Payson Terhune, his wife Anice, and the Sunnybank Collies. Visiting Sunnybank feels like stepping into the heart of collie history.  It’s a place where the landscape, the collies, and generations of collie lovers gather together in celebration of all things collie.  I have written countless posts about reading Terhune’s books while growing up, and how much those stories meant to me.  And I’ve written about how I’ve traced my own collies’ pedigrees back to the Sunnybank collies.  And knowing my collies are related to those past Sunnybank Collies, the collies that once raced across the very ground we were walking across, always makes it more special.  Walking across the grounds of Sunnybank with your own collie by your side feels like stepping into a living piece of history. There’s a quiet sense of connection in knowing that generations of collies once walked that same land - their grace, intelligence, and devotion woven into the very character of “the place.”

Lassie and Timmy (Jon Provost)

Tempi and Timmy (Jon Provost)

In honor of the 30th anniversary of The Gathering, this year Sunnybank had a special guest.  The legendary Actor Jon Provost attended The Gathering.  As a child, he played “Timmy” on the Lassie television show from 1957 - 1964.  We got to meet him, and he was kind enough to pose for a picture with our collie puppy, Tempest!  So of course, as true Lassie fans, we had to recreate one of his most iconic photos from back in the day!  And we were not alone, he spent the entire weekend posing for pictures, talking about his time on the Lassie television show, and listening to everyone express how much Lassie and Timmy meant to all of us growing up.  He is such a kind man, and the collies all enjoyed meeting him as well.



Growing up I always enjoyed watching the Lassie television shows, and movies, and I still watch them today.  Amazon Prime video actually plays the old Lassie tv episodes 24 hours a day, so you can watch an episode whenever you are feeling nostalgic.  This past weekend was such a magical experience, it combined a celebration of Terhune and the Sunnybank Collies, Lassie and Timmy, and all of our collies.  We are so grateful to the Collie Health Foundation for hosting this memorable event.

It was an unforgettable weekend…and the icing on the cake?  Our little Shannon won the 2 - 4 month puppy class at the Lad Match!


You can read some of my other posts about Lassie by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment