background

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Book review - fiction featuring dogs


I love reading, and I love to share my favorite books and authors with others.  Since Summer is here, and many people are looking for something new to read, I decided it was time for a new book review.

There are so many different types of books, but I have always preferred to read works of fiction.  And though I was never a fan of mysteries, Dorothy Bodoin has changed my mind.  She writes stories that are entertaining, and her characters are both engaging and personable.  But some of my favorite characters in her books are the collies.  The main character of her Foxglove series, Jennet, solves mysteries, takes care of her Victorian house, and rescues collies.  

The series starts with the book, Darkness at Foxglove Corners, and there are 23 books in the series.  The newest edition, Shadow of the Ghost Dog, was just released this week.  While I loved having a real book to read, my shelves were overflowing, so I ordered the Kindle edition.  I started reading the book yesterday, and finished it late, last night.  Which is why I am so tired today, but it was that good.  I couldn't put it down, and I enjoyed it immensely.  I wish there was another book in the series, but I have now read them all.  I just introduced her books to another collie lover, and she immediately bought the first four books in the series.  I'm a bit jealous, as she has all 23 books ahead of her.   Sadly, I will have to wait for her next book to come out, which Dorothy is currently writing.  I may just have to go back and reread some of my favorites.

In the book, Shadow of the Ghost Dog, Jennet is visiting a beautiful, storybook Victorian house with her friend Lucy.  While at the house, she hears a collie whimpering, and realizes that only she can hear the sad dog's cries.    As the story progresses Jennet will face a killer who is determined to keep secrets of the past hidden, while trying to learn why the ghost dog cries.  This book did have me in tears once or twice, but I loved that the story includes the belief that dogs do have souls. If you love mysteries, or just love a good dog story, you should add this book to your summer reading list.  Then stop back, I would love to hear what you think of the series!

14 comments:

  1. Nice review! It's always scary reading a book about dogs cuz our mom hates sad endings!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just how she feels, I have had to stop in the middle of books because it was too sad. But I've never had the problem with Dorothy's books.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I too love reading, but prefer to get the books free as part of a blogger program. This author sounds wonderful-I'll have to look at the library for these books. I also love Victorian houses and grew up really wanting a Collie. As a young girl, watching Lassie always brought me to tears.
    Hugs,
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have mom intrigued. We will have to look for book one and see how it goes! Great review☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've gotten to be scared of reading fiction stories that involve dogs.

    But glad you found an author you're enjoying so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...my dad is thinking about it. He's a little concerned about departed animals. He bought the Audible version of "Fifteen Dogs" by Andre Alexis about dogs who suddenly acquire human consciousness. All was well until my dad figured out that they passed away. End of book...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed it so well. A good book is always hard to put down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that sounds interesting, sadly the mama is not able to read dog-books what cause tears... my granny is always the pre-readers and she marks the sad pages with a paperclip, so the mama always stops there ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you much for your kind words, Kathleen. I love writing my Foxglove Corners book and am always happy to know that my readers enjoy them. The next one, The Dark beyond the Bridge, will be released next April.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great series! one of my goals in retirement was to get back to reading more - I love to read. I do prefer the "real thing". Since getting books on my tablet I seem less likely to pick it up and read, where as a book I would.
    hugs]
    PugRAnch Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does sound like a good series. We love collies, our Grandparents have a collie name Lady O'Meara.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Collies are such wonderful dogs! I would not want to hear sad doggy cries. Thanks for joining the Pet Parade. See you at the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful review, I'm hooked on reading about
    Foxglove corners just finished the last one and
    can hardly wait for the next one

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the Foxglove stories when a new one is released I'm anxious to see what the characters
    have been doing I love it that the collies live
    on to the next book great review

    ReplyDelete