background

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Proud dog mom...

Our friends over at Fidoseofreality did a blog post about pet parents.  They asked if other bloggers consider themselves dog moms and what we would do if people questioned our use of the term "dog mom" or "dog dad?"

Holly, having fun at the Doggie Fun Zone, because dogs like to play too!


To answer the first part of her question, yes, I do call myself a dog mom.  My daughter does too, and always buys me cards from her and from the dogs.  So while I have a human daughter,  I also have kids of the four-legged variety.  We compete with our collies at dog shows, and have traveled 16 - 20 hours by car with our collies to reach some of these shows.  I know many moms of human children who travel these distances, to take their human kids to different competitions they have entered.

Holly at a dog show.


I take my collies to their doctor when they are sick, I buy them toys at Christmas and on their birthdays.  (Which we wrap in pretty paper)  I talk to them, sing to them, hug them and have pictures of my collies hug up at home and at my desk at work.  (Right next to pictures of my human daughter.).  I feel pride when my collies win at dog shows, and I worry when they are sick.  So yes, I am definitely a dog mom.  And I'm proud to say my daughter feels the same way about our dogs.

Holly, riding on the train with us.



The second part of her question, well that's a little harder to answer.  As I am one of the few dog parents where I work, I tend to not refer to myself as a dog mom there.  I know it is a term that would cause eye rolls, and possible negative comments, so I avoid the subject at my place of employment.  But I avoid it because it's where I work, I don't care what strangers think, and I would use the term without hesitation elsewhere.  Because to me, the definition of a parent is one who provides care and love, who guides and educates, throughout another being's lifetime.  And isn't that what we do for our dogs?  So who else is a Dog mom or Dog dad?


My daughter, sharing a quiet moment with Holly.


11 comments:

  1. Jolly you are prancing around like a movie star. Whooa
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edwar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved your words, truer ones cannot be spoken. I myself have three daughters so I am their momma, 8 grandchildren so I am their grandmomma and 3 pugs and I am their pugmomma, its what is in our hearts that matters.
    stella rose's momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dog parent? Yup! I too have pictures on the wall at work and know who the "dog people" are. The pack is a huge part of my life and I am proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am I am waving arms! I love your definition of parenthood. love.
    Congrats on your collies.
    I wrap Cole's gifts too, because crinkly paper is fun to rip, then the soft insides are fun to play with! His joy gives me joy.
    LeeAnna and Cole at lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dogs are so pretty!! I call myself a mom, too and I don't have any human kids yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I answered Fidoseofreality the same way. I'm a mom to two wonderful adult humans and one spoiled Basset.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your answer to the question!! My husband and I didn't start out considering ourselves dog parents, but we have come to as time has gone on and we have 2 dogs now. We don't have children, so I am careful not to use the terms dog mom or dog dad around some of my friends, as they would find that peculiar. We wrap and give our dogs presents too, have Christmas stockings for them, give them special food treats on their birthdays and at Christmas. We love them dearly, worry about them if they aren't well, take them to do fun things. They are our family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't typically call myself a dog mom and I cringe a bit when others call me that. She's a dog, I'm a human. When I use the term (usually just when blogging) I don't take it seriously and am a little surprised at those who vehemently defend their title of "dog mom" or "dog dad". Blueberry could care less how I define my relationship to her as long as she is loved, fed, watered, sheltered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, when I blog I definitely use that term and with other dog people. At the park people are known as Sherman's Dad or Karma's Mom' You definitely hear the pups name more than the persons. More than one person has called me the Collie Guy.

    When Deacon crossed the bridge, I used the term I had lost my boy. One of my co-workers was confused. He knew I was never married but took it to be my son. Never repeated that one.

    As for what other people think. I gave up caring about that long ago. My collies have introduced to many people and they have supported me in times I've felt down. So yes, I am a dog parent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do consider Honey family but I don't call myself her dog mom. I think it's partly because my own relationship with my mentally ill mom is not always a happy one.

    But I understand why many people like the term and I think it's rotten for people to roll their eyes at people who are just looking for the best word to share their love.

    Go dog moms!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We call each other mummy and daddy to our dogs (which kind of started as a joke but grew.) I call them my babies when I talk to them, and to other people I often call them my furkids. If they roll their eyes or something, well, that was an easy litmus test as to whether I'll want them in my life as more than acquaintances. :) I don't care what people want to call their dogs, and ten to one, if they call themselves a dog mum, their dogs will be well cared for and loved. The only thing I can't stand people to call their pets is "it"!

    By the way, I found your blog having come across the Smooth Collie as a possible future member of our family, and nothing I've seen here has put me off the idea. Your babies are lovely! I have no idea how the Smooths slipped under my radar in the past, since I am a bit of a purebred dog nut and my head is full of breeds and their characteristics and they seem a very good match for us.

    ReplyDelete