It’s time for the Fourth Annual Pet Blogger Challenge, hosted by our friends Amy Burkett from Go Pet Friendly and Edie Jarolim from Will My Dog Hate Me. All pet bloggers are invited to join in and take a few minutes to encourage, motivate, and support each other. Let’s celebrate the successes of 2013, share what we’ve learned this year, and outline our visions for our blogs in 2014! Are you ready? Let’s go!
1. How long have you been blogging? Please tell us why you started blogging, and, for anyone stopping by for the first time, give us a quick description of what your blog is about.
I started my blog in May 2012. So we are still a relatively new blog. I write about my collies and do a lot of picture posts about our adventures living with our five beautiful collies. Occasionally, I will post a recipe, or write about canine health related topics. And you will even find posts about the history of the collie breed in general, and my own collies in particular.
2. Name one thing about your blog, or one blogging goal that you accomplished during 2013, that made you most proud.
We had a rather difficult year, because of a variety of circumstances, and we had to take a break from blogging for a couple months. But I am very happy that I have returned and started blogging again, as I was afraid I might not return as other bloggers have disappeared in the past...
3. When you look at the post you wrote for last year’s Pet Blogger Challenge, or just think back over the past year, what about blogging has changed the most for you?
I think the one thing that has changed is that I have met and friended a lot of other bloggers this past year. When I first started the collie blog it was just something I did for myself, for fun. And now I come to blogville to keep in touch with all the wonderful bloggers we have met online.
4. What lessons have you learned this year – from other blogs, or through your own experience – that could help us all with our own sites?
I’m not sure I have any advice to help others with their sites, as I am still learning through trial and error. But I have learned that pet bloggers are some of the most compassionate people around, and will be there to support you through any difficulties.
If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one challenge you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
I need ideas for more topics to write about! Help!
5. What have you found to be the best ways to bring more traffic to your blog, other than by writing great content?
Participating in blog hops, commenting on other blogs, and visiting and new blogs. The more blogs you follow, and the more you interact with other bloggers, the more likely they will be to stop by your blog from time to time!
6. How much time to do you spend publicizing your blog, and do you think you should spend more or less in the coming year?
I don’t publicize my blog, in fact very few people in my "real" life even know about my blog. This is something I share with other bloggers, as many of the people in my life would not get it!
7. How do you gauge whether or not what you’re writing is appealing to your audience?
I guess I judge that by how many comments I receive. But it isn’t something I focus on, as I’m mainly writing the posts for fun.
How do you know when it’s time to let go of a feature or theme that you’ve been writing about for a while?
This hasn’t come up yet.
8. When you’re visiting other blogs, what inspires you to comment on a post rather than just reading and moving on?
9. Do you do product reviews and/or giveaways?
Yes, I have one product review to do, and I hope to eventually be asked to do more and begin doing giveaways.
If not, is this something you’d like to do more of? What hurdle is getting in your way?
Well, because of our need to take a break the review was delayed. The only hurdle is getting more followers, because we won’t be asked to do reviews until we are reaching a larger audience.
10. When writer’s block strikes and you’re feeling dog-tired, how do you recharge?
When I am not sure what to write about I will usually just do a picture post, or I will check out what other bloggers are writing about. However, if nothing inspires me, I just won’t post.
11. Have you ever taken a break from your blog? How did that go?
I took a break this year after my 17 year old niece was killed. I just didn’t have it in me to blog for a while after that.
Have you ever thought about quitting your blog altogether? What makes you stay?
No, even when I don’t post, I enjoy reading other bloggers post too much to quit!
12. What goals do you have for your blog in 2014?
My goals are to do at least one new product review, hold at least one give-away, make 10 new blogging friends, boost my followers from 60 to 75 and to participate in more blog hops!
Good luck to all the new bloggers, and if I haven’t discovered your blog yet, stop by and introduce yourself! The collies and I love meeting new friends!